Recruitment of Health Professionals for Training in Research in the area of Mental Health
The Centre for Rural Health, University of KwaZulu-Natal, has a strong focus on health system strengthening, NCDs and mental health. One of our projects, The Southern African Research Consortium for Mental health INTegration (S-MhINT), is a NIH funded research and capacity-building consortium in Southern Africa that aims to use implementation science to strengthen regional mental health integration into primary health, antenatal, and chronic care platforms in under-resourced areas of eastern South Africa, central Mozambique and southern Tanzania. Our consortium partners in S-MhINT include the South African Department of Health, the University of Washington, Health Alliance International (HAI), Operations Research Center in Beira, Mozambique (CIOB), Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences in Tanzania, the Mozambican Ministry of Health and the Tanzanian Ministry of Health.
Capacity Building is one of the core components of the project with the aim of building implementation science and dissemination research capacity in the area of mental health. We are looking to recruit 8 health professionals/managers within the Department of Health to participate in an implementation research programme aimed at improving research capacity in implementation science to aid integration of mental health into routine primary health care systems.
Participants will be required to
- Participate in an online course in implementation science run by our colleagues from the Department of Global Health at the University of Washington; and
- Conduct a small study using implementation science methods related to integrated mental health care in real world settings under the mentorship of academics from the Universities of KwaZulu-Natal and University of Washington.
- South African Department of Health employee
- Currently working in the field of mental health
- Be able to attend training in Durban, UKZN from time to time
- Have access to the internet and a computer
- Fluent in English
- Interest in research in the field of mental health
- Research experience
Candidates should send a motivation letter and an updated curriculum vitae to Merridy Grant, Grantm1@ukzn.ac.za. If you have any questions please send an email to Merridy.
The deadline for applications is 16 July 2018.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted.